WELCOME!!

This blog is an account of our lives and ministry in South Africa. Please click on the tabs above to learn a little more about us and what we do.

We hope you enjoy our blog. Please feel free to leave your comments, we love to hear what's on your mind!



(If you got here from facebook or Twitter you can read the rest of our blog at SmithSA.blogspot.com)


Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Team Members

(Click on picture to enlarge)

Below is a journal entry written by Chris, one of our Red Rocks Team Members. It may not mean a lot to those of you that aren't on this trip, but I thought I'd post it to preserve the memory of 14 individuals that have become an amazing team.


June 21, 2009 will forever mark the day that my life changed forever. As I unloaded our luggage from my car at the airport I remember being filled with a sense of excitement and nervousness.

I knew that I would be embarking on a journey that would undoubtedly force me to reevaluate every aspect of my life. As we made our way through the airport our group instantly gelled. Its funny because it seems like I’ve known these people for a lifetime. God has definitely blessed me to be here with so many amazing individuals.

This is the first time in my life that I’ve truly seen the embodiment of Romans 12:4-8 “Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.”

Every person has a necessary gift.

Lincoln has been an amazing leader, quiet, calm, and humble. Yet strong, faithful and confident. He truly loves this place.

I feel like Troy is our vice-leader. His knowledge of the ways of God challenges me, he is definitely someone I look up to. His wonderful sense of humor provides our team with necessary moments of laughter. The tragedy of this place could easily overwhelm a person. Laughter has kept us grounded and sane.

The carpenter after God’s heart. Dave has so many amazing gifts, his knack for carpentry has been such a blessing. Accomplishing what we have at Martha’s would not have been possible without him. His gift for music has provided us with so many moments of community and worship.

The Heavenly Chef. Rick has taken it upon himself to prepare our meals. His ability to make such delicious and satisfying meals on a small budget has been a wonderful blessing. Not to mention the food he prepares provides our team with much needed nourishment.

The tallest girl in Africa. Taylor’s presence was felt here immediately. Instantly connecting with Maureen, a woman who works in the shelter. Taylor has shown her and the other women here that they deserve to be treated as a precious daughter of God.

Love embodied. Kristie has a way of loving people by just being near them. As I watched her hold these children and weep for the broken in freedom park, I felt as though I saw Christ holding them and weeping for them.

K is for Karate Chop, what a perfect shirt for Kim to have. It describes who she is to a T. A confident little spitfire. Kim has a boldness that comes from God and a willingness to lend a hand where needed. I hope that something as small as her soccer ability has challenged the perceptions of what a woman is capable of accomplishing.

The megaphone “sweetheart”. Lorrie’s confidence in who she is has ministered to me greatly and shown our team the importance of embracing who he created us to be. Her sense of humor has also provided our team with so much laughter and relief from the emotional challenges we face daily.

The lighthouse without a foghorn, Ashley’s quiet faith has spoken volumes to me, proving the importance of being quick to listen and slow to speak. Ashley is often quiet, but when she does speak it is always meaningful and important.

The United States of Amara. I feel like the gift of comfort is so prevalent with Amara. I’ve watched her provide small words of encouragement and comfort to so many on our team. The manner in which its done is so real and honest. Genuine hearts like hers are too few and far between.

The gentle heart. When I think of Lizzy I can’t help but smile. I imagine Jesus doing the very same thing. Quiet and sweet, Lizzy is such a good natured person. I can’t imagine her saying something negative about anyone. She has shown me the importance of humbly loving others.

The consummate mother. Jenny’s motherly instincts and ability to teach children have been an enormous blessing.

Lion bait. On one occasion in particular Amanda challenged me in my prayer life. Her passionate prayer allows the spirit to penetrate every heart in the room, causing a unity with God that I’ve rarely experienced prior.

Jo-berg. The quiet and humble heart of Johannes has shown me an entirely new way of working. There are times in my life when I feel as though I was working for the Lord but Johannes does anything and everything that is asked of him. He does it as though God himself were giving him a command from Heaven.

I don’t know what part I’ve played within this organized chaos, I just hope that I’ve been half the blessing these people have been to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment